Don’t get stressed race-day morning because you can’t find your shoes or race-bib, or because you left an essential item at home. Coach Lorna suggests making a list to get yourself organized the days before and to keep your race-day stress-free. Below are her recommended items to add to your list to get you ready for race day.
I recommend you make a list of what you need for race day. Be sure to lay everything out the night before.
Lorna’s suggested list:
- Sports bra
- Running socks
- Bin liner or old t-shirt to wear at the start
- Trainers (tied with a double knot)
- Nipple plasters
- Race number (for the Amsterdam marathon the timing chip is attached)
- Safety pins/race belt
- Gels, etc
- Hydration belt/belt for gels (I personally have elastic loops sewn into my shorts
- Watch/mp3 player/phone
- Heart rate monitor
- Your name to stick onto t-shirt – if you want to encourage some extra cheers
- Hear tie/band
Make sure there is nothing valuable in there.
- Clothes for before and after marathon include a dry t-shirt
- Shoes – if it looks like rain you might like to change into dry shoes, if you are prone to blisters flip-flops – might be nice to wear after the run
- Sunscreen (you never know)
- Vaseline or anti chaffing gel
- Blister plasters
- Toilet roll, wet wipes
- Mobile phone (I normally put my sim card in an old phone)
- Rain coat
- Water, recovery drinks and post marathon snacks
- Small towel
- A little bit of money/travel pass for getting home
- Race instructions
Wishing you all an organized and stress-free race day!